Mark your calendars! The Perry High School Marching Band will be performing at the Ohio State University for the Buckeye Invitational on September 28!
We hope everyone has had an enjoyable and relaxing summer so far! Here are some upcoming events and items that need your attention:
1. A reminder that uniform fittings are July 8th and 10th in the band room. Please be sure you have ordered your Black Drillmaster band shoes. Rookies: You will want to wear these during the first week or so of Marching Band to break them in. This will help avoid blisters during the parade.
2. A friendly reminder that marching band rehearsals begin on Monday, July 15, at 7:00 AM. Please be in your seats and ready to play at 6:55AM. Do not walk in the door at 6:59 and expect a positive outcome. Please note that summer rehearsals are not optional. If you are not there (and haven’t previously emailed Mr. Smith about a vacation), your spot will be given to someone who is there and on time.
3. If you have lost touch with your instrument, now is a great time to reconnect with it and reintroduce yourself. The better you sound on July 15th the more pleasant all of our lives (including yours) will be.
4. Bring all music, instruments, flip folders, and lyres. We will be outside for part of the first day. Rookies, check in with your leadership team to make sure your instrument group uses a lyre (most do). Do not show up on day one without these items.
5. Wear comfortable shoes. No flip flops or sandals are permitted. Rookies: It’s a good idea to wear your brand new marching band shoes to these rehearsals so you can break them in before the parade.
6. We will give you water breaks each hour. It is YOUR responsibility to bring water jugs, etc. You will not have time to run inside to use the drinking fountain…bring it to the field with you!
7. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Marching Band rehearsals are not the place to try getting a suntan for the first time of the year and sunburns are not an excused absence. If you haven’t ventured outside of your home since June 1st, start spending sometime outside to get acclimated to the heat. Wear lots of bright/light colors to rehearsals. Try to avoid black.
7. If you haven’t memorized La Pantera and the Fight Song yet, get busy.
• Rookie Camp will be held on the last day of school from 12PM-2PM. All leadership team members and incoming freshmen are expected to attend.
• Congratulations to our 2019-2020 Band Officers-
President- Jake Kleve
Vice President- Toree Fogle
Secretary- Esther Scott
Treasurer- Haydon Carter
Historian- Logan Gongaware
• Band Banquet is this Wednesday at 7PM (doors open at 6:30) at St. George’s in Massillon. If you haven’t sent your RSVP, please do so ASAP. Students need to dress nicely for this event.
• Leadership seminar is this Thursday at Hoover HS from 4:30-7:30. Please arrive at Hoover HS no later than 4:15PM! Money must be turned in to Mr. Smith before Thursday. $30 per student, checks payable to Perry Band Boosters.
• Bands In The Round is this Thursday at 7PM! Tickets can be purchased at the door for $6.00. All students must be in their seats ready to go at 6:30PM.
• Percussion Ensemble concert is Wednesday at 7PM in the auditorium. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $6.00.
• The leadership seminar will take place on May 9th at Hoover High School. Students should arrive in the Hoover band room no later than 4:15PM. The event will conclude at 7PM. Please bring a check to Mr. Smith, made to Perry Band Boosters, for $30 no later than Monday, May 6th.
• A reminder that band scholarship applications are due today!
A reminder that all Concert Band students need to be at PHS no later than 8:30. Buses will depart at 8:45AM sharp!
Congratulations to the members of the Perry Symphonic Winds for earning their 7th consecutive Superior rating at OMEA State Contest!
Symphonic Winds- Buses roll at 3:30PM Friday, performance at 5:10PM at Glenoak HS
Concert Band- Buses roll at 8:30AM Saturday, performance at 10:00AM. Concert Band uniforms will be collected upon return to PHS.
Congratulations to the following students for earning a spot with the 2019 PHSMB Color Guard! Students are listed in random order-
Abigail Rhoades, Samantha Jones, Raven Jackson, Cheyanne Westfall, Sydney Smith, Lexi Grove, Hayley Little, Olivia Ross, Jade Lopez, Hannah Etheridge, Abigail Fenningsdorf, Jillian Reddington, Sky Young, Sydnee Fyffe, Angel Morris