Please fill out the following RSVP no later than May 1st. This event is open only to Seniors and their family members. The rest of the details are in the link.
Auditions for the 2021 Perry High School Color Guard team are scheduled for April! If you have some friends who would like to be a part of our outstanding organization, tell them about the Guard! Even if they don’t know what color guard is, have them come check it out! Pick up a packet in the office to complete and bring to clinics starting the week of April 26th and auditions on April 29th! Clinics and auditions start at 4:30 and go until 7:30PM! If you have questions, please see Mr. Smith or the band website!
Audition information for 2021 Field Commanders is now available on the Marching Band page. Auditions will take place on April 16th after school. Please print and read the audition letter/instructions, and download the score. If you have any issues printing the material, please see Mr. Smith ASAP.
It is HIGHLY recommended that you work with a current/former Field Commander to prepare for your audition.
Please note that if you are selected as a Field Commander, you must attend the Phantom Regiment Drum Major Camp held at The University of Akron in June. (dates TBA)
All CURRENT Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors are eligible for Field Commander tryouts.
• A reminder that leadership applications are due this Friday.
• Butterbraid pick up is tonight! 6-7:30 PM at Pfeiffer
• We will have our first LIVE CONCERT this year on May 6th at 7PM in the main gym!! We’re excited!
• We are working on details regarding holding a band banquet this year. Please mark May 10th on your calendars!
• DISNEY: As you know, our Disney trip is supposed to take place during the upcoming 2021-2022 school year. At this time, I do not feel that asking parents to make financial deposits for a fall trip is the right thing to do. With so much uncertainty, it is next to impossible to plan a fall trip. The last thing I want to do is ask families to make deposits at this time when there is a chance we may not be able to go…or that the trip could be unenjoyable. Our current plan is to plan for a winter/spring Florida trip. What I would advise you to do is to start setting aside the financial resources you would need. Our trip is usually in the neighborhood of $1000. In the meantime, I will be planning a fantastic trip that we can all enjoy….just a bit later than we’re used to.
• It’s March! So let’s talk Marching Band! We are fully anticipating a “normal” marching band season this year. This past year was certainly not “normal” and we’re anxious to get back to what we do best.
• The 2021 Marching Band Schedule is now online under schedule of events. We have a couple of dates not added yet (Fair Show, uniform fittings,) but 99 percent of the schedule is there and ready to go.
• Any student wishing to be on the 2021 Leadership Team must submit an application later no later than Friday, March 26th. Please state what qualities would make you a good leader, and how you intend to use your skills to make our organization continue to be successful.
• Field Commander auditions will be held in April this year. If you are interested, please speak with a current Field Commander. More details coming soon!
Here is the recording of our Pfeiffer and Edison “Virtual Concert”. Please take a listen and celebrate the fantastic progress our younger students have made this year!
Please enjoy this “virtual concert” performance of the Perry Concert Band and Perry Symphonic Winds, recorded this January. We intended to perform this in December, but with quarantines we were unable. Your students worked hard, under tremendously difficult circumstances to prepare this music. Enjoy!
As we progress through the winter months, the next big event on our schedule is OMEA High School Solo & Ensemble contest. As with everything else in our lives right now, this event will be held virtually. OMEA has put together a fantastic program in order to pull this off, and we’re very excited to be able to use this opportunity. I will include a link for all of the information that you as a student need to know. Here are some things that are Perry specific:
• When registering, you will be asked for a “Director Search ID”. My ID is 541-16116-68107
• The link to submit your video is: https://www.omea-ohio.org/vsehs.a5w
• While the due date for OMEA is March 6, our due date will be February 27th. This will allow me enough time to review everything and make sure it is submitted correctly.
• Checks should be made payable to Perry Band Boosters. Each solo is $15.00
• Accompaniment is not necessary, but I highly encourage to try and use either a real accompanist for your recording or use a Smart Music or YouTube accompaniment. You can register for Smart Music for $10-20 if you choose that option.
• I HIGHLY encourage you to make your recording in as professional as an environment as possible. If you choose to do it at home, which is fine, just make sure you are in a neat and tidy space. Make certain you read through the instructions OMEA has provided on video format. Your video must be in LANDSCAPE mode.
• Please click here for instructions and other information. Please read this document thoroughly.
• If you have any questions, please see Mr. Smith sooner rather than later. This is new to me also!
The Caravan recording is now on the jazz band page. Take a listen and practice!
As we were told today, PHS will be remote for the rest of this week. Your assignments in band will be done through the Symphonic Winds Google Classroom or Concert Band Google Classroom. Be sure you are registered for one of these. (There will be no virtual Jazz Band)
Concert Band Code: vlolxex
Symphonic Winds Code: tvltc4e
Assignments will be posted daily and must be turned in during or BEFORE the end of mod 17/18. If you do not complete the assignment, you will receive a zero and will be marked “absent”.
We will both hold “office hours” where you can pop in should you need to ask questions. You can also email us and we will get back to you during school hours.
Lastly, have a safe and relaxing break! We’ll be back soon, and hopefully things can start trending towards normal. Let’s finish out the year strong!