• With the Symphonic Winds performance approaching quickly on February 1st, we wanted to share some info with parents so you can make plans to attend. It should be an exciting performance that will include: guest conductor Galen Karriker (director of bands at The University of Akron), and guest soloist Elisabeth Shafer (trombone professor at The University of Akron). In addition, we have been asked to perform a brand new piece commissioned by the Phi Beta Mu International Bandmasters’ Fraternity. Audio recordings of our performance will be made available for purchase, and we will also be on iTunes by sometime next summer.
• Our performance will be at the downtown Huntington Cleveland Convention Center on February 1st at 5:15 PM in room 26ABC This concert is free and you do not need to register for the Ohio Music Education Association Conference to attend our performance. We encourage as many of you as possible to attend this performance. Our kids perform better for a large audience and with support from their parents and family.
• The main issue will be parking. Parking on a Friday afternoon in downtown Cleveland can be a tremendous issue if you don’t plan ahead. Parents arriving after 3PM are HIGHLY encouraged to park in the Municipal Lot and ride the provided OMEA shuttle (free) to the Convention Center. Shuttles depart the Muni lot every 30 minutes and will drop you off right at the Convention Center. Shuttle service runs from 7AM-11PM on charter buses. Again, this is free of charge. Parking at the Muni lot will be $4 per day. The pickup/dropoff point will be in the EAST Muni lot at 1500 South Marginal Rd, Cleveland Ohio. You will want to arrive early enough to ride the shuttle, and find our performance venue. I would plan to ride the shuttle no later than 3:30 just to be safe.
• GPS directions to the Muni lot are available online. If you google “Cleveland Municipal Parking Lot” or “North Coast Municpal Parking Lot”, that will get you where you need to be. Be sure to park on the East side for OMEA parking.
• We are looking for 4-5 chaperones for this trip. We will be departing PHS at approx. 12PM and should return at 9:30PM with a dinner stop at Bucca di Beppo on the way home. We need one chaperone who is willing to wait with our equipment while we perform, ideally a parent without a student performing. If you are interested, please email Mr. Smith as soon as possible so he can arrange your dinner reservations. The cost for the meal will be $22 per person. Chaperones will be selected on a first come/first served basis.
• Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing your support at our performance at the 2019 OMEA Professional Conference!
Share on Facebook