A reminder that uniform fittings take place tonight(juniors/seniors) and Wednesday(freshmen/sophomores) from 6PM-8PM at the high school. Color Guard members should also attend to be fitted for raincoats and receive tee shirts.
We hope everyone has had an enjoyable and relaxing summer so far! Here are some upcoming events and items that need your attention:
1. A reminder that uniform fittings are July 9th and 11th in the band room. Please be sure you have ordered your Black Drillmaster band shoes. Rookies: You will want to wear these during the first week or so of Marching Band to break them in. This will help avoid blisters during the parade.
2. A friendly reminder that marching band rehearsals begin on Monday, July 16, at 7:00 AM. Please be in your seats and ready to play at 6:55AM. Do not walk in the door at 6:59 and expect a positive outcome. Please note that summer rehearsals are not optional. If you are not there (and haven’t previously emailed Mr. Smith about a vacation), your spot will be given to someone who is there and on time.
3. If you have lost touch with your instrument, now is a great time to reconnect with it and reintroduce yourself. The better you sound on July 17th the more pleasant all of our lives (including yours) will be.
4. Bring all music, instruments, flip folders, and lyres. We will be outside for part of the first day. Rookies, check in with your leadership team to make sure your instrument group uses a lyre (most do). Do not show up on day one without these items.
5. Wear comfortable shoes. No flip flops or sandals are permitted. Rookies: It’s a good idea to wear your brand new marching band shoes to these rehearsals so you can break them in before the parade.
6. We will give you water breaks each hour. It is YOUR responsibility to bring water jugs, etc. You will not have time to run inside to use the drinking fountain…bring it to the field with you!
7. Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen! Marching Band rehearsals are not the place to try getting a suntan for the first time of the year and sunburns are not an excused absence. If you haven’t ventured outside of your home since June 1st, start spending sometime outside to get acclimated to the heat. Wear lots of bright/light colors to rehearsals. Try to avoid black.
7. If you haven’t memorized La Pantera and the Fight Song yet, get busy.
We are in need of parent volunteers for our uniform fitting nights. If you are willing and able, please contact Merribeth Carpenter at 330-685-5053
Our 2018 Field Commanders (Holly Casto, Hannah Flagg, Toree Fogle, and Elizabeth Sailer) had a great weekend at the Phantom Regiment Field Drum Major Camp. They are fired up and ready to go for the 2018 PHSMB season!
Hayli was received the Outstanding Achievement Award from the Fred J Miller Flag Camp this past week, held at Walsh University. Haylie will now be eligible for a $1000 scholarship from Fred J. Miller. Congratulations Hayli!
• Please note that we have added the Perry Community Parade to our calendar. The parade will be on September 15th. Details will follow as we get closer to that date, but plan on the usual- Line up at 10:30 AM, done by noon.
• A reminder to get your Cedar Point trip payment in!
Information and payment policies for the September 22-23 Cedar Point trip are now available on the Marching Band page.
Rookie Camp will be Thursday, May 31st, from 8:30AM-11:00AM. Leadership Team will meet in the band room at 8:15AM.
All files for the 2018 Marching Band Show “Arabian Nights” are now available on the Marching Band page.
Students who are applying for the 2019 OMEA All State Band or Orchestra:
To begin the application process, visit https://app.getacceptd.com/omea
You will need the following information from Mr. Smith:
Contact info- Ryan Smith, Perry High School, 3737 13th St SW, Massillon, OH 44646 (330)477-3486
Mr. Smith’s OMEA/MENC ID Number- Email Mr. Smith for this info ASAP and he will send it to you via email.
A reminder that all applications must be submitted by May 31st. If you have not scheduled your recording with Mr. Smith, you need to do this immediately. If you have made other arrangements to record, you are good to go!