The Uniform Turn in has been cancelled for tomorrow night due to circumstances beyond our control. We apologize for any hassle, and will update everyone when we have a time finalized.
1. Though the Perry Panthers have had a GREAT season, we are being told by WHBC and JoeEitel.com that there will be no playoff game next week for the Perry Panthers. Congrats to everyone who made this an awesome year for the Marching Band and Football programs.
2. Due to the Speech/Debate tournament being held on Saturday, there may be a change in Uniform turn in. We will update you ASAP.
3. Symphonic Winds will have after school rehearsal on Wednesday until 3:15. Concert Band will do the same on Thursday. The schedule for both will be 1:30-2:15: Brass/WW Sectional 2:20-3:15: Full Rehearsal
Final details have been set for the Jazz Ensemble trip to the University of Louisville.
February 24th: Depart PHS after school via Anderson Charter Bus to our hotel in Jeffersonville, Indiana
February 25th: Perform at the University of Louisville Jazz Festival, attend clinic session with Louisville Jazz Faculty, afternoon activity to be determined, evening performance by Louisville Jazz Ensemble and guest performance artist Antonio Hart (saxophone)
February 26th: 11AM Depart Louisville, KY for PHS (arrival at PHS arond 6PM)
Cost for this trip is $90 per student which includes hotel and transportation. Plan to bring a small amount of cash to cover meals (yes, we WILL be stopping at Skyline Chili on the way home) Please make checks payable to Perry Band Boosters. Payment is due by December 20th.
This will be an exciting event and a great opportunity to showcase your hard work and talents at a MAJOR jazz conference.
We will be staying at the Days Inn on 354 Eastern Blvd., Jeffersonville, Indiana.
Please contact Mr. Smith ASAP if you have any questions. If there is an issue with your attendance at this event, please let me know immediately so we can plan accordingly.
1. It’s hard to believe, but we are in the last week of Marching Band! Congrats on a great season and for taking the PHS Marching Band to a new level! I couldn’t be more proud to be a part of this organization and working with the outstanding students in the Perry Band program. We are already in the planning stages for next year, and there will be some very exciting events on the calendar for next season.
2. Leadership team essays are due by this Friday. If you would like to be considered for a leadership position for the 2011 season, please type a 1 page essay telling us why should be chosen. Leadership positions are open to all seniors and juniors.
3. Starting the week of November 1, we will begin sectional days for Winds and Concert Band. Winds will rehearse from 1:30-3:15 on Wednesdays, and Concert Band will rehearse on Thursdays from 1:30-3:15. Work out your scheduling conflicts early! These rehearsals are not optional.
4. All students in both concert bands will need to purchase a tuxedo shirt before the Palace Concert. Information on where to purchase these will be coming soon. A regular dress shirt is not an acceptable substitute…you will need a plain white “tuxedo” shirt.
5. We have had an AWESOME past two weeks during rehearsals. Keep up the focus and intensity, and you will continue to to get out early. The show for the Glenoak game will be: Don’t Stop, Get Down Tonight, Respect, and Gimme Some Lovin.
6. Should the Panthers make the playoffs, we will rehearse on Thursdays from 2:30-3:30. The show will change from week to week, but will consist of songs/drills from the entire season. We will know by this Saturday if we are headed to the playoffs.
7. PHS vs Glenoak: Arrive at 5:30 in the auditorium, busses will depart at 6:15. After we beat Glenoak, we should arrive back at PHS around 10:30/10:45.
8. Many new pictures have been added to the Flickr PhotoFeed. Check out some great shots of the PHS Marching Band (and the decoration of Mr. Welker’s car at the Jackson game) by clicking on the Flickr link on the main page!
9. The solo and ensemble required lists can be found on both the Symphonic Winds and Concert Band pages. All students are HIGHLY ENCOURAGED to take a solo or ensemble to contest this year, especially if your goal is to make Winds next year. Start planning now, as the date will be here before you know it. If you know you want to be in a certain ensemble, and would like us to help you choose music, see us this week! All students who wish to take a class A solo or ensemble must be taking private lessons.
10. Winds/Concert Band auditions for 2011-2012 will be taking place in March. Why are we telling you this now? So you can start preparing for next year. Audition formats will be the same: A prepared etude provided by us, and a prepared excerpt that you pick, along with all 12 major scales. Don’t wait until the last minute to prepare.
1. Reminder that Butter Braid order forms are due on October 20th! Please help us raise the money we need for our upcoming trips and new uniforms. In addition to purchasing brand new uniforms for the Marching Band (cost around $50,000), we will be taking two trips next year: Marching Band to Kalahari/Cedar Point in October, and Symphonic Winds to New York City in the spring. It will be an exciting year, so do you part to help make it a successful one!
2. Please see Mr. Smith or Mr. Wright if you wish to retake your B,E,A concert scale test for Winds. MANY of you will want to take advantage of this. You must let us know by Monday if you wish to retake it.
3. Change of plans for this Friday vs. Jackson: The Athletic Department and School Board has requested the Marching Band to perform at a pre-game Pep Rally at 5:30 PM. Call time for Friday is 5:00PM in full uniform. Plan to meet in the auditorium at 5:15 to march into the Main Gym at 5:27. A light dinner will be provided following the Pep Rally.
1. Concession workers are still needed for NEXT week’s game vs. Jackson. Please sign up to work this huge fundraiser for our group….earn money for the band and have fun!
2. Butterbraid fundraiser forms are due October 20th.
3. Students: Please bring in a bag of candy for the Marching Band Halloween Party. Also, please sign up on the list if you plan to attend.
4. The Band Boosters are still looking for a volunteer to chair our membership drive. If you are interested, please contact Scott Smith.
1. The Perry HS Jazz Ensemble will perform at Edison Jr. High this Wednesday at noon. Dress nice (no jeans/tee shirts). We will eat lunch at El Campesino following our performance
2. Marching Band at Austintown-Fitch this Friday: Arrivate at PHS 5:00PM, busses roll at 5:30PM.
3. Remember to sell Butterbraids! This is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year.
4. B,E, and A major scale test for Winds this week.
1. Football/Marching Band at McKinley: Arrive Friday at 6:00, busses roll at 6:15.
2. Regular rehearsal schedule this week. We will be doing the Blues Brothers show this Friday! Make sure to have all music checked off by Thursday. (Leadership needs to check off to staff by Tuesday)
3. Clear your Saturdays in November for Football Playoffs. In the event that our Panthers make the playoffs, we will have rehearsal on Thursdays from 2:30-3:30. Games will be on Saturday for as long as we keep winning. There will be NO rehearsals on Tuesday or Wednesday in the month of November.
4. Plans are underway for our Marching Band trip to Cedar Point/Kalahari in October of 2011, and the Symphonic Winds trip to NYC/DC in the Spring of 2012. Have your parents sign up to work Bluecoats Bingo to earn credit for your trip accounts! Next year is going to be a very exciting year for the Perry Bands!
5. MANY of you are signing up for private lessons, which is awesome! If you call one of our listed lessons teachers and find that they are all booked up, please let us know so we can find another teacher for you. Don’t give up! The better you get, the more fun band is!
Check out this YouTube video of the Ohio State University Marching Band performing their version of “Ramp”. This is what we are looking for in your marching!