Please read the following addition to the Perry Band Handbook. This policy will be in effect beginning on June 5th. Have a great summer and we will see you in July!
Social Media Policy
As a member of the Perry High School Bands, you represent the group at all times, including on social media platforms. It is expected that you hold yourself and the group to the highest of standards. Any instances of slander, hate speech, cyber bullying, or other inappropriate comments directed toward individual members or sections of the band, the band as a whole, or it’s directors and staff will not be tolerated and may result in dismissal from the band.
In an effort to guide social media practices, including group chats, we suggest the following:
- Understand that freedom of speech is not unlimited. Social media websites are not a place where you can say and do whatever you want without consequences.
- Think twice before posting. If you would not want your parents, family, teachers, or boss to see your post, do not post it!
- The internet is permanent. Even if you delete something, it still exists somewhere.
- Remember many different audiences will see your posts, including fans, alumni, band members, parents, staff, etc.
- Do not post comments that you would not speak about openly person to person.
- Remember that directors and staff are aware of what you post on social media. Eventually, we will hear about it.
- Keep in mind that potential employers and colleges use social media websites to screen candidates. Your career path can be directly impacted by your actions on social media websites.
- Protect yourself by maintaining a self-image that you can be proud of years from now.